Remember, Mac was gifted a kid’s size table and chairs from Ikea for his first birthday in May?
Mac loves the things and they are holding up nicely.
But I kept looking at them thinking they were sort of Meh.
I wasn’t sure what I wanted to do with them? Or how?
They seem to be wood and some sort of coated particle board (or similar). I also knew, sooner or later they were going to get covered in crayon and marker and paint. . .which is fine. They are his to enjoy.
But since they reside in our kitchen, I wanted to enjoy looking at them everyday.
Painting that particle board made me nervous. It seemed as if I was going to have a difficult time getting something to adhere to it.
However, on one of our trips to the Home Depot, I wandered into the Bermuda Triangle of the painting section. And that’s when I spotted chalkboard spray paint.
The little wheels in my brain started spinning. . .Yes, chalkboard paint has been done to death but it seemed like a good option for Mac’s table and chairs.
I purchased two cans of Rust-Oleum Chalkboard spray paint. Imagine my excitement when I realized the picture on the front of the can was a table and chairs, the top of the table was covered with chalkboard paint! I can assure you my Husband did not share my glee.
But I can’t control spray paint. And I’m pretty sure my kid can’t control chalk so I quickly made the decision to spray paint every surface on both the chairs and the table.
A few days later, I pulled out the spay paint. . .Only to realize one of the stupid cans was missing the nozzle.
This was actually a good thing because the more I thought about it, the more I KNEW I really needed to primer the surfaces too.
So back to Home Depot we went and I obtained another can of chalkboard paint as well as two cans of Rust-Oleum Painter’s touch, Ultra Cover 2x Primer. The primer said it’s suitable for bare or painted wood, metal, plastic “and more.” I chose a dark flat gray color figuring it would be a better base color than white and it would still provide enough contrast to the black chalkboard paint that I could tell where I was spraying.
I made sure the table and chairs were clean and drug them to the yard under the cover of darkness one evening and got to it.
It took about 1.5 cans of primer and nearly both cans of chalkboard paint to get things covered properly.
I also noticed that these two paints let off a LOT of fumes. . .and they seem to linger so the table and chairs had to hide out in our basement for a number of days until they started to smell a little better.
I was also concerned about chalk dust being smeared all over my walls and floors so I ordered some chalk ink markers. They aren’t cheap but they should help keep the mess in check. Plus, I just really wanted some of them myself. The website claims they are easily removable with water. They haven’t arrived yet so if I discover otherwise, I’ll be sure to bitch err write about it in another post.
That’s it. Super easy, inexpensive, and (so far) very functional.