Today we tried Beet, Apple, & White Bean Salad. . .From Family Circle April 2012. It was excellent. You can find the original recipe here.
I modified a few steps.
1. I just roasted the beets whole, individually wrapped in foil. I omitted tossing them with olive oil or salt prior to baking. It took longer than 45 minutes to roast the whole beets. . .more like an hour and a half.
2. I soaked my own cannellini beans instead of using canned.
3. I was a little lazy about the dressing. I kinda’ got tired of trying to follow the recipe and amuse the kid so I made our usual Good Seasons Dressing with balsamic vinegar (in the curette/shaker thing) according to the measurements then I added a few squirts of Dijon mustard and a pinch of salt and a few extra splashes of water to thin it out a bit.
4. I mixed chopped romaine lettuce with the kale.
5. Of course I used extra feta! Who measures cheese anyway?
Feta: $4.99 (won’t use entire package), kale: $1.48, Apples: $1.00 (special dollar per pound); all other ingredients on hand. . .Dinner for 4 for about $1 per person.
Sadly, I didn’t manage to get any photos but we all know my lazy idea of a legitimate photo is hastily snapped, poor quality iPhone pic, so you aren’t missing much.