Home » I’m Feeling Supremely Smug

I’m Feeling Supremely Smug

At least for a few minutes. . .

You might recall in a previous post I was discussing our Pediatrician’s advice.  She sternly admonished me that by changing or feeding Mac during the night I was creating poor sleep habits.

She. Was. Dead. Wrong.

Of late, he’s been sleeping through the night.  In fact last night he slept from 9:30 until 8:30!

She also advised that in lieu of snuggling him or wearing him to sleep, we should put him in his crib and let him cry until he’s asleep, otherwise he would never learn to fall asleep on his own.

Imagine how victorious I felt when he was playing in his pack and play the other day and fell asleep on his own, without a peep.  Drama free.

Oh I know this feeling isn’t going to last.  Hell, it probably won’t last through dinner.  But I am feeling pretty smug right now.

In a world where parents are continually bombarded with “expert” parenting advice, judgmental glances, and unsolicited opinions, it feels good to have a just a little validation that a parent ultimately knows what’s best for their own children.

I’m not going to get a swelled head or anything.  I’m no parent of the year.  But I am going to try to be confident enough that from now on when someone offers parenting advice that I do not believe is appropriate for our child, I’m able to oh so sweetly tell them to JAM IT.

No Responses to “I’m Feeling Supremely Smug”

I”m right here with you. I think any advice, from family, friends, and sometimes doctors, should be taken lightly. As a Mom, you know your child best and what works for one child, won’t necessarily work for another.

Congrats on your little one sleeping through the night! Just to warn you though, it’s not necessarily going to stay that way… with colds or change or schedule, you may still need to wake up some nights, but for now, enjoy your long stretches of sleep, Momma!

2. Deni Lyn says:

Thanks Meghan! My Husband and I were joking Mac’s been so sweet lately, there is surely another “evil” tooth just waiting to make him sleepless and grouchy any day now!

3. Good for you for going with you gut (and feeling smug)! I recently wrote a post on merelymothers.com about my struggles with sleep training–all the books, all the advice–and nothing really seemed to do the trick for us, except time. Just these past two weeks, my 17-month-old daughter started sleeping through the night, but then last night she was up for two hours! And if I had let her “cry it out,” as our doctor had also advised, she would have stayed up ALL night. Moms need to do what they know is best for their babies and just smile and nod at the well meaning advisors.

4. Deni Lyn says:

Thank you for the support Merely Mothers! I’m practicing my smile and nod right now! 🙂

5. Mrs. Mo says:

Ha! You made me laugh. You should feel smug! I would.

I’m still working on my post. In the midst of a monster teething session this week and I’ve got a little monkey attached to me at all times.

My Husband was mortified to learn that children teethe for several years! Our little guy seems to be pretty sensitive to it. I hope Alex feels better soon! Do you medicate him? We haven’t tried medications yet, as I’d prefer to try every other option to comfort Mac before trying the medication. Although part of me wonders why I’m being so stubborn about it, if a little Tylenol could help? Probably because I’m just generally a stubborn knucklehead. Ha!

• Mrs. Mo says:

Alex does feel better. I think we have more than one new tooth sprouting. This was one of the worst teething sessions so far. I do give him Tylenol. I held out on that as long as possible, but his pain made me freak out. I just remember how I feel when I am in pain and that I can fix it. I only give him a dose once a day (when he’s really bad) and that is usually after dinner. I won’t give it to him more than that. Although there was one day this week that I gave him one in the morning. He was bawling most of the day and trying to bite me.

Before teething he slept like a dream! 7:30pm to 7:30am in the crib, non stop! But once he started it was over. And that was literally overnight! I’m exhausted!

6. hnmom says:

Our pediatrician also told us to let her cry it out. That’s the only time so far that I didn’t agree with her. I also followed my gut (and thankfully my husband agrees) and we keep wearing her to sleep as well. It’s been working for us, some nights better than others.
    Good for you for doing what Feels good and right to you. He’s your child after all. Nobody knows him better than you.

7. 4eyedblonde says:

Before I started reading other bloggers’ posts about their baby’s sleep troubles, I thought I was the only one in the world so obsessive about my baby’s sleep. It seems I would get the crazy eyes from anyone with whom I tried to discuss my son’s sleep issues and my desperation to get it under control. It’s so nice to know that I’m not alone.

By the way, I completely agree with doing what feels right for you and your family. I looked at the no-cry method of sleep training when I first decided to take action but realized quickly that I was too desperate to wait for results. I tried the cry-it-out and found it unbelievably acceptable for me! I was perfectly fine listening to him cry for a while – guess that’s just the [witch] in me. It didn’t take but about three nights and we were on the right track. So, it worked in my case but it doesn’t work for a lot of people. You just have to do what’s right for you. That’s all there is to it.

I can only imagine the number of blogs dedicated to crying, sleepless children! Evidently there is no one-size fits all fix. Although our little guy has been doing great lately, I’m sure it’s just days until another wretched tooth makes an appearance. Welcome to WordPress! I very much enjoy your blog.